EU Missions are a new way to bring concrete solutions to some of our greatest challenges. They have ambitious goals and will deliver concrete results by 2030. They will deliver impact by putting research and innovation into a new role, combined with new forms of governance and collaboration, as well as by engaging citizens. EU Missions are a novelty of the Horizon Europe research and innovation programme for the years 2021-2027.
The main goal of the Mission Adaptation to Climate Change is to support at least 150 European regions and communities towards climate resilience by 2030. The mission will foster the development of innovative solutions to adapt to climate change and encourage regions, cities and communities to lead the societal transformation.
Because climate change affects different regions, sectors of the economy and members of society in distinctive ways, the Mission will engage with the widest range of EU regional and local actors.
The participation of Member States, regions and cities will be crucial in the implementation of the Mission as they are key agents of change in deploying new technologies, experimenting innovative solutions that address local needs, and in leading different stakeholders towards the green transition. The Mission will also engage with citizens by funding projects facilitating their involvement.
Six calls are now open and will close on 27 September 2022:
Please note: Swiss researchers are eligible to apply for these calls. In case of acceptance, funding is guaranteed via the SERI.
- User driven applications and tools for regional and local authorities, and other end users focusing on climate impacts, data and knowledge (HORIZON-MISS-2022-CLIMA-01-01 - indicative budget €6 million)
- Unlocking of financial resources for investments into climate resilience (HORIZON-MISS-2022-CLIMA-01-02 - indicative budget €6 million)
- Best practices on and piloting insurance solutions for climate adaptation in EU regions and communities (HORIZON-MISS-2022-CLIMA-01-03 - indicative budget €6 million)
- Transformation of regional economic systems for climate resilience and sustainability (HORIZON-MISS-2022-CLIMA-01-04 - indicative budget €6 million)
- Boost the sponge function of landscape as a way to improve climate-resilience to water management challenges (HORIZON-MISS-2022-CLIMA-01-05 - indicative budget €3 million)
- Testing and demonstrating transformative solutions on climate resilience, mainstreaming nature based solutions in the systemic transformation (HORIZON-MISS-2022-CLIMA-01-06 - indicative budget €88.32 million)