Fast Track Initiatives and Cluster Activities build on areas of research strength in the existing Global Environmental Change (GEC) projects and programmes, and are intended to kick-start integrated activities and strengthen interdisciplinary collaboration. The new initiatives will produce specific outputs, such as publications, within a relatively short timeframe, or will develop a basis for agenda-setting research over the longer term. They will also allow for existing projects to develop collaborations and will support joint planning between projects.
Proposals for the Fast Track Initiatives and Cluster Activities were initiated and developed by representatives of the existing GEC projects, often in collaboration with other communities, and were reviewed by members of the Future Earth Science and interim Engagement Committees. The awards are for a period of 2 years, and will typically support co-ordination activities, meetings, and the creation of outputs such as publications.
The 8 new initiatives are:
- Exploring nitrogen in Future Earth
- Scientific support for IPBES knowledge generation
- What is urban? Global urbanization as viewed from multiple scientific domains
- Bright spots: seeds of a good Anthropocene
- Global biodiversity monitoring, prediction and reporting
- Extreme events and environments from climate to society
- Linking earth system and socio-economic models to predict and manage changes in land use and biodiversity
- Sustainability for water, food and energy through integrated water information and improved governance
Future Earth - research for global sustainability